Special Toad in the Hole
- 175g Allinson Plain Wholemeal Flour
- pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs
- 200ml Just Milk Semi-Skimmed
- 200ml water
- 45ml fresh chopped mixed herbs, such as parsley, rosemary and thyme
- 8 pork sausages of your choice
- 8 slices parma ham
- 25g lard
- 15ml (1tbsp) olive oil
- 2 red onions, sliced
- Kenwood Chef Kitchen Machine or Kenwood k-Mix Stand Mixer
- Kenwood Chef Kitchen Machine fitted with Balloon Whisk bowl tool
- Pyrex Non Stick Roaster
- Place the flour, salt, eggs and milk in the bowl, fit whisk and whisk on speed min for about 1 minute, increase to speed 4 for approx. 20 seconds, until well blended. Reduce the speed to 2 and with the whisk still running gradually add the water, increasing the speed if necessary until blended. Stir in herbs. Leave batter to stand for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C, 425°F, Gas Mark 7. Wrap each sausage in a slice of parma ham. Place the sausages and lard in a Pyrex Non-Stick Roaster and bake for 10 minutes, until very hot.
- Remove the roasting tin from the oven, pour in the batter and bake for 30 - 40 minutes, until well risen and golden.
- Meanwhile heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the onions for approx. 10 -15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until caramelized. Remove the tin from the oven, scatter onions over and serve.