- Prepare four small soufflé dishes by greasing well with butter. Add a little flour to each and swirl to Coat the base and the sides. Place the prepared dishes into the fridge to Chill.
- Preheat the oven to 180c(fan)/200c/Gas Mark 5.
- Melt the butter in a pan. Add the plain flour and Mix well. Add the milk a little at a time, whisking well. Continue adding and whisking until all the milk is incorporated and the mixture is smooth.
- Cook for ten minutes over a low heat whisking continuously.
- Remove from the heat and Stir in the finely grated gruyere.
- Beat in the egg yolks and set the mixture to one side.
- In a clean Grease free bowl Whisk the egg whites until they are thick and creamy and stand in stiff peaks.
- Take 1/3rd of the egg whites and beat quickly into the cheese mixture. This loosens the mixture and makes folding the in the remaining egg whites much easier.
- Add the remaining 2/3rd of the egg whites to the cheese mixture and Fold in gently and carefully using a palette knife. Lift and turn the mixture to incorporate the egg whites taking care to retain the lightness of the whites. Once combined the mixture should be airy and light.
- Fill each of the soufflé dishes to the very top with mixture and Level.
- Run the tip of your finger around the inside edge of the dish to create a groove in the mixture allowing the soufflé to rise upwards when baked.
- Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes until well risen and golden.
Why not use Parmesan or your favourite hard cheese instead of Gruyere?
A lightness of touch is needed when folding in the egg whites, if too much air is knocked out at this stage your soufflé will not rise when baked.